Skip to main content

My visit with Amish friends



Over the course of the past couple of years, my husband and I have enjoyed the embrace of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. In this warm setting, we have opened our hearts as the people of this beautiful country have opened theirs. Our time and journey in this wondrous place have led to new friendships including that of a young Amish woman who worked at a favored market.

It was a Saturday when we went to our favorite market on an extended, if not spontaneous, day trip. We wanted to let our friend know that we would be back in August for a longer stay and hope to get together then. When we arrived, we saw another woman working in her place which was unusual. I approached the stand to ask about our friend and to my surprise, this woman already knew through her daughter.

"Oh yes, you are Tina Loveless," she said, "my daughter has told me all about you. Please do come over, we would enjoy having you."

We exchanged telephone numbers and let her know that would be in touch when we were back in town.

When August arrived, and not a moment too soon, my husband and I set off to Lancaster for 6 days. Excited to spend some time with our new Amish friends, with a bit of anticipation and excitement,  I phoned and left a message. When I finally got the call back I was so excited we set up a time to meet and said our goodbyes until then.

My husband and I headed out to our friends home, as we take the turn down the lone road to their farm, carved among the fields of tall corn, we turned into the crushed stone land. The alabaster path gave the moment such serenity that the rest of the world seemed to melt away. 

Once we arrived, my husband and I were greeted with open arms and sat on their patio and just talked with the family for several hours. It felt as if we had known each other for years and that we were just catching up.

Many things come to my mind when I was reflecting on this trip. First and foremost was being able to share this experience with my husband that made it all the more special. Second was the joy of visiting an Amish family in their home and getting to know them on a more personal basis.

During this wonderful stay, I was reminded that the Amish are much more like you and me than we tend to recognize.  They face many of the same problems that we do in our daily lives and remembering this draws the bonds between our very different communities much closer. This experience continues to help me live a better life by seeing past the distractions and shedding some of the unnecessary burdens of English life.

Looking at my family's life through the lens given to me through a growing relationship with the Amish, it has become easier to see how many things I stuff into my life. Material and spiritual baggage that serves little purpose in me nurturing a better life for my own family. There are many things that I will continue to keep in my life that the Amish generally don't have, but that's the beauty in our differences. In the end, it is through those differences that I gain a better view of the important things upon which I must focus.

The lesson from this recent experience is to embrace those who have embraced me and to learn from the things we share as much as the different things that we bring to each other.

Comments

  1. Tina, What you have written and shared is so beautiful. I think it's wonderful that your husband has also been interested in visiting and getting to know the Amish. I love reading all of Beverly Lewis' books about the Amish and have a great respect for them. In 1970, my husband and I were driving across the U.S., and when we were driving through Southern Iowa, I saw an Amish woman with a long black dress and a kapp on, using a horse and a plow. I had never seen anything like that before. So when we got to Iowa City, I found out about Kalona, Iowa and drove down there while my husband spent time at the University of Iowa. I fell in love with Kalona, as it's an Amish and Mennonite town, and very lovely. After that, I managed to visit Kalona any time we were in Iowa. That was the start of my visiting Amish communities and learning more about the Amish. But I still didn't know about all the wonderful Amish books until somebody at Curves was selling one of Beverly Lewis' books. What a blessing for you and your husband to actually have Amish friends now. Thank you for sharing this lovely story.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wanda Brunstetter Q&A and Giveaway!

It is my pleasure and honor to have had Wanda answer a few questions for us. Thank you Wanda for taking the time out of your schedule to let us know what you have been doing and what inspires you to write.  Wanda Brunstetter Q&A QUESTION 1: When is the earliest that you remember having a passion for writing? Response: From the time I began reading I started writing short stories and poems. I had an imagination as a child. When I was in second grade I wrote a poem about a moth. My teacher thought it was good and said I might someday become an author. That little seed she planted encouraged me to keep writing. QUESTION 2: From all of the different genres that you could have chosen, how did you decide upon Amish life as your primary focus? Response: I chose the Amish life to write about because through my husband, who has a Mennonite background, I met and became friends with many Amish people, whom we have come to know and love. I have a d

Weddings at Promise Lodge and Goddness Fish Promotion and Giveaway

Weddings at Promise Lodge by Charlotte Hubbard ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ GENRE : Inspirational (romance) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ BLURB: When Bishop Monroe is forced to confess the truth about his relationship with young Leola before the entire congregation, he can only pray that open hearts and minds will allow him a future at Promise Lodge—with Christine. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ EXCERPTS As Christine Hershberger sat on the front pew bench, close enough to bask in the glow of her sister Mattie’s joy, she smiled brightly. At long last, she was attending the wedding that should’ve taken place years ago, when Mattie Bender and Amos Troyer were young and so deeply in love¬—before Dat had insisted that Mattie marry Marvin Schwartz instead. Now that Mattie and Preacher Amos had outlived their original mates, they were standing together, hand in hand, repeating the age-old vows after their new bishop, Monroe Burkholder. Christine, who’d lost her husband a couple of years ag

Excerpt, Giveaway and Review of A Simple Vow by Charlotte Hubbard

"How are we to get any sleep? Or concentrate on our work?" Dat asked above the raising wails. "Edith, you are to return these babies to their mother at once!' "But I tried to tell you----their mam is dead!" Edith blusrted. "Will brought the twins here until he could get through her funeral and---"This is Will Gingerich we're talking about, correct?" " Jah,  and he'd accused the other fellow of ----" "We cannot have Will coming around here on the pretense of seeing his children," Dat stated, " If he's got no wife to raise them now, he'll try to entice Loretta into marriage again. And that matter shall remain a closed book. A Simple Vow by Charlotte Hubbard, is her first book in her new series "Simple Gifts". You may want to grab some tissues and tea while Charlotte takes you back to the lovely community of Willow Ridge, where you will meet Edith Reihl and som